Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Log Home Builder's Wife

I must begin with a clarification. My husband is not a log home builder by trade, but we embarked on a journey of building our own log home in beautiful Montana about 6 years ago. We have made some mistakes, made some very good choices, and learned a tremendous amount along this path we have taken. I had never considered becoming a 'Blogger', but recently, my sister suggested that there may be someone else out there in the world building their own log home that might be able to benefit from some of the things we have learned, and I agree that may be true. So with that in mind, I'll begin the story of our log home building journey and hope that you will enjoy the ride of hearing our story.

It was 6 years ago this month that my husband and I were engaged, and so we began to make plans for finding a home we could share together. It had long been my husband's dream to build a log home, and he assured me “it would be easy” to build a log home—just a matter of putting in foundation, stacking up a log kit, putting a roof over the top and finishing it off. In my naivety, I agreed to the project (which is just as well, as I don't regret it, but I'm not sure I would have been willing to start the project if I'd known how long it would take). Later I learned what my husband meant by “easy” when he remarked that “If it weren't easy, it wouldn't be possible.” So I will say it is indeed POSSIBLE to self-build a log home, but it may not fit everyone's definition of “easy”.

No comments: